For New Year's Eve, Rustico Restaurant in Alexandria, Virginia is offering a double dose of good-beer festivities.
On the restaurant side, there's a fixed-price four-course menu: each course paired with beer. Reservations required.
- Baked Camembert with Housemade Orval Sourdough
Paired with Kloster Wintertraum: Klostbrauerei Weltenburg, Germany.
- Maine Sea Scallops with Spooky Pumpkin Grits & Ginger-Andouille Gremolata
Paired with Avec Les Bons Voeux: Brasserie Dupont, Belgium.
- Pineland Farms New York Striploin with Whole Grain Mustard “Knish”& Old Stock Macerated Medjool Dates
Paired with N’ Ice Chouffe: Brasserie D’ Achouffe, Belgium.
- Tiffin Tin of Holiday Cookies
Paired with Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout: Brooklyn Brewery, New York, NY.
But on the bar side, Beer Manager Greg Engert and his crew will be tapping 6 cask firkins (with others in reserve), beginning at 6pm and continuing until the Big Beer Toast at midnight ... and beyond. And, no reservations are required.
- WinterHook Winter Ale: Red Hook Ale Brewery, New Hampshire.
A Winter Warmer from a brewery whose offerings are rarely seen on cask.
- Pomegranate Wheat Ale: Peak Organic Brewing Company, Maine.
This beer has never been in the Mid-Atlantic before, let alone on cask.
- Fraoch Heather Ale: Williams Brothers Brewing Company, Scotland.
Our choice for actual British ale served stateside.
- Snake Dog IPA: Flying Dog Brewery, Maryland.
Very local and very fresh.
- Really Old Brown Dog: Smuttynose Brewing Company, New Hampshire.
An amped-up version of their traditional Brown Ale, aged in the cask.
- Allagash Black: Allagash Brewing Company, Maine.
Somewhere between a Stout and Belgian Strong Ale.