British beer author/blogger Roger Protz recently made this claim:
Good Beer Guide editor Roger Protz said the nationwide total of breweries made the UK "undisputed top brewing country in the world".
Canadian beer author/blogger Stephen Beaumont challenged the statement. He "ran the numbers."
- Population of the United Kingdom: 61 million
- Number of Breweries: 711
- Population of Germany: 82 million
- Number of Breweries: 1250 (more or less)
- British population per brewery: 85,794
- German population per brewery: 65,600
In an email to Beaumont, Protz defended his claim:
I was at pains to stress in media interviews that I wasn’t claiming that British beer is better than, say, Belgian, Czech, or German beer, but that the choice and diversity now available here is quite astonishing.
The USA, by the way? I ran the numbers:
- Population: 307,212,123 (July 2009 estimate)
- Number of Breweries: 1,525 (July 2009 estimate)
- US population per brewery: 201,450
Stephen Beaumont may live in Canada, but he writes, entertainingly and adroitly, about the entire world of beer. Read the full post from Blogging at World of Beer: here.