October 2009 is the Vegan Month of Food ... or Vegan MoFo. Throughout the month, bloggers will write stories about vegan food, recipes, issues, and lifestyles. Isa Chandra Moskowitz, an author of vegan cookbooks, first introduced the concept in 2007.
Here's my mother's recipe for an easy and delicious go-to dish: Cole Slaw (and hold the cream).
Shred the cabbage.
I used a mandoline. Be VERY careful: it can take off a finger. I chopped the smaller cabbage pieces with a knife.
- Oil (I used peanut oil for variety).
- Malt vinegar.(I like the flavor. I avoid balsamic: it colors the cabbage.)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- A pinch or two of sugar. Less is better.
- Finish with dill. (I didn't have any fresh, so I substituted with dried.)
And, that's it!
Why the name VeggieDag Thursday? Here.