My friends at Del Ray Pizzeria, in Alexandria, Virginia, are throwing a New Orleans Christmas party, a couple of weeks early, and one thousand miles north, Tuesday, 13 December 2011.
Abita has been celebrating its 25th anniversary of operation this year. They're sending their local representative, Nick Smith —himself, a past brewer for the brewery— to co-host the dinner.
Here's Chef Reid's menu:
- Smoked Duck Salad
- with currants & figs, blood orange vinaigrette
- Served with Abita Amber Ale
- Munich style lager brewed with crystal malt and Perle hops. the brewery's first beer and still its top seller. 4.5% alcohol-by-volume (abv)
Smothered in Crawfish Étouffée
- Oysters Bienville
- Oysters baked with bacon & cheese crust.
- Served with Abita Save Our Shore Weizen Pils
- For every bottle sold, Abita donates 75¢ to the rescue and restoration of the environment, industry and individuals fighting to survive the Gulf of Mexico oil spill. This unfiltered Weizen Pils is made with Pilsner and Wheat malts, hopped and dry hopped with Sterling and German Perle hops. 7% abv.
- Bananas Foster Bread Pudding
- Chocolate Raisin Bread Pudding, topped with Bananas Foster.
- Served with Abita 25th Anniversary Vanilla Double Dog
- Abita's 'standard' brown ale —Turbo Dog— is the inspiration for a 7% abv version. Brewed with pale, caramel, and chocolate malts, and Willamette hops. Whole natural vanilla beans are added during maturation.