What was for lunch, for two, at Columbia Firehouse Restaurant, in Alexandria, Virginia, on 5 October 2010?
In the foreground:
- Potato Leek Soup (vegetable stock)
with Yukon Gold potatoes & truffled leeks.
- Roasted oyster mushrooms.
- Pint of draught Small Craft Warning Uber Pils.
- Kettle of Maine mussels, in a broth of coconut milk, curry, lemongrass, and cilantro.
- House-cut French fries, and extra bread for 'sopping.'
- "Uber Pils" is a neologism for a hoppy pale strong lager (the hops: Germand, Czech, and American). Risking style police approbation, one might say a hoppy helles bock. The beer, 7% alcohol-by-volume, is brewed by the Heavy Seas Brewery of Baltimore, Maryland.
- Caveat lector: As a representative for Select Wines, Inc. —a wine and beer wholesaler in northern Virgina— I sell the beers of Heavy Seas.
- Pic(k) of the Week: one in a weekly series of personal photos, often posted on Saturdays, and often, but not always, with a good fermentable as subject. Commercial use requires explicit permission, as per Creative Commons.