50 kegs on draft.
That's the World of Beer, a Florida-based franchise, which officially opens its first Washington, D.C.-area location today, in the Ballston district of Arlington, Virginia.
The pub seats about 100 inside, and about the same outside. The kitchen is small, putting out small bites like chicken sausages, brats, and pretzels stuffed with jalapeno cheese.
True to its name, the World of Beer serves no liquor, cocktails, or even wine. But, then again, there are those 550 beers.
Here's the opening day roster:
- Anchor Steam
- Angry Orchard Crisp Apple Cider
- Bavik Wittekerke
- Bell's Two Hearted
- Bold Rock Virginia Apple Cider (Virginia)
- Boulevard Tank 7
- Chimay Cinq Cents
- Devils Backbone Vienna Lager (Virginia)
- Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA
- Firestone Walker Union Jack
- Flying Dog Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale (Maryland)
- Flying Dog Underdog Atlantic Lager (Maryland)
- Founders Dirty Bastard
- Goose Island Pere Jacques
- Guinness Stout
- Hoffbrau Dunkel
- Hoffbrau Original
- Huyghe Delirium Tremens
- Lagunitas IPA
- Left Hand Milk Stout (nitrogen-dispensed)
- Long Trail Double Bag
- Lost Rhino Rhino Chasers Pils (Virginia)
- Old Dominion Lager
- Ommegang Abbey Ale
- Oskar Blues G Knight
- Paulaner Hefe-Weizen
- Port City Essential Pale Ale (Virginia)
- Port City Optimal Wit (Virginia)
- RJ Rockers Son of a Peach
- Reissdorf Kölsch
- Rogue Dead Guy Ale
- Rogue Shakespeare Stout (nitrogen-dispensed)
- Rogue XS Imperial IPA
- Schafly Kölsch
- Schneider Weisse
- Sea Dog Bluepaw Blueberry Wheat Ale
- St. Bernardus Abt 12
- St. Louis Framboise
- Starr Hill Starr Pils (Virginia)
- Starr Hill The Love (Virginia)
- Tröegs Flying Mouflan
- Tröegs Hopback Amber Ale
- Unibroue Éphémère
- Van Steenberge Piraat
- Van Steenberge Gulden Drak
- Victory Golden Monkey
- Weihenstephaner Original Lager
- Woodchuck Pear Cider
- Wychwood Hobgoblin
- Young's Double Chocolate Stout
The draft list will change almost daily, said bar manager Lee Couey, with local breweries always represented. He promised that there would be occasional cask tappings as well.
- There are many multi-tap draft-houses which publish their beer-lists to the web. Some keep them updated; others —maddeningly— do not. Many use social media —such as Facebook and Twitter. World of Beer does all that and has an app for that, for Android and iPhone.
- See more photos from the 'Friends and Family' pre-opening tasting: here.
- Caveat lector: As a representative for Select Wines, Inc. —a wine and beer wholesaler in northern Virgina— I sell beer to World of Beer.