This Saturday's Spring Real Ale Festival —at the Pratt Street Ale House in downtown Baltimore, Maryland— is the baby brother of the long-running Chesapeake Real Ale Festival held in the fall. Even so, $40 entitles a festival-goer to a plethora of cask ales. The count stands now at twenty-two, although organizer Steve Jones —brewer for host Oliver Ales— predicts more.
Some new and special additions to the roster include:
- Firestone Walker Velvet Merlin
- Heavy Seas Plank II, with added Yellow Poplar & Eucalyptus and dry hopped with Liberty.
- Weyerbacher Blanche
- Williams Brothers Brewery Scottish Heavy
- From host Oliver Ales, on hand-pulled beer engine:
- Ape Must Never Kill Ape: Belgian inspired dark ale, 3.3%, with vanilla beans
- Jacob's Winter Celebration, aged 4 months in oak barrel over juniper berries
- James Brown Ale, aged over red oak.
- Full list of all casks: here.
For an additional $20, one becomes a 'VIP,' gains early admittance —an hour earlier, at 12 noon— and samples from three additional casks:
- The Brewer's Art Tiny Tim
- Evolution Craft Brewing Rise Up Stout infused with oak chips, cinnamon, and coffee and vanilla beans.
- The third cask? Jones says it's "a bit hush hush."
UPDATE: Photos from the fest: here.
The 3rd annual Spring Real Ale Festival
Saturday, 28 April 1-6pm.