Two chickens protest against fowl carnivores, marching for GARP (Georgia Animal Rights & Protection), as seen at the Inman Park Festival, in Atlanta, Georgia, on 30 April 2016.
GARP is a non-profit organization dedicated to the abolition of animal exploitation and suffering. GARP focuses on educating the public about the abuse and cruelty that is inherent in the use of animals for food, entertainment, research and fashion.
- Related story: Inhumane conditions for chickens AND workers at chicken processing plants.
A new report by Oxfam America, an arm of the international anti- poverty and injustice group, alleges that poultry industry workers are "routinely denied breaks to use the bathroom" in order to optimize the speed of production. In some cases, according to the group, the reality is so oppressive that workers "urinate and defecate while standing on the line" and "wear diapers to work." In others, employees say they avoid drinking liquids for long periods and endure considerable pain in order to keep their jobs.— Via Washington Post: 11 May 2016.
- More photos of the Inman Park Festival: here.
- Every Thursday, YFGF posts #VeggieDag: tweets, facebook mentions, and/or blog pieces on vegetarianism and ecological issues. Today, although Saturday, that and Pic(k) of the Week coincide.
- Pic(k) of the Week: one in a weekly series of personal photos, usually posted on Saturdays, and often, but not always (as today), with a good fermentable as the subject. Camera: Olympus Pen E-PL1.
- Commercial reproduction requires explicit permission, as per Creative Commons.
- For more from YFGF: