Not beer-related, but a moment significant enough to bear mention...
Sixteen-plus minutes after he is sworn in as the 45th President of the United States of America, Donald John Trump exults after delivering his inauguration speech, a dark tale of a dystopian America.
The photo is a screenshot of CBS News' television coverage of the inaugural ceremonies, on 20 January 2017.
- More photos of the inauguration: here.
- As president, Barack Obama was a friend to 'craft' beer; Donald Trump is a teetotaler.
A person who practices (and possibly advocates) teetotalism is called a teetotaler. The word teetotaler has nothing to do with tea. More likely, the 'tee' that begins the word teetotal is a reduplication of the letter 't' that begins total, emphasizing that one has pledged total abstinence. In the early 1800s, 'tee-total' and 'tee-totally' were used to intensify 'total' and 'totally' much the way we now might say, 'I'm tired with a capital T.' Teetotal and teetotaler first appeared with their current meanings in 1834, eight years after the formation of the American Temperance Society.—Merriam-Webster.
- Pic(k) of the Week: one in a weekly series of photos taken (or noted) by me, posted on Saturdays, and often, but not always (as is the case today), with a good fermentable as the subject.
- Camera: Olympus Pen E-PL1.
- Commercial reproduction requires explicit permission, as per Creative Commons.
- For more from YFGF: