The Royal Mile Pub in Wheaton Maryland celebrated its 25th anniversary with a scotch whisky dinner, Tuesday 28 November.
The scotch whiskies - were presented by Kristina Sutter, a Diageo Master of Whiskey. The Pub host for the dinner was Kristin Orr, general manager. For the finale, I presented the cask - a pin (5.4 US gallons) - of Clipper City Brewing's 2006 vintage Below Decks Barleywine.
A barleywine is a light to amber-hued ale of greater than 9.5 % alcohol. Barleywines - the exception to the rule of the fresher the beer the better - can be cellared. They maderize, that is gain sherry and port wine notes, as they age. Clipper City vintage dates its bottles of Below Decks.
Chef/owner Morrison prepared the evening's menu, or as Ms. Orr termed it, Scottish World Fusion!
- Passed Hors D'ouevers with Johnnie Walker Green Cocktail - mini sweet onion tarts, empanadas, crab stuffed mushrooms, tapanade crostini, stuffed grape leaves
- Sushi rolls with salmon three ways (whisky brined and smoked, cured gravlax style and sashimi) - Talisker 25
- Chicken skewers seasoned with garam masala - Oban/ Glenkinchie
- Venison Sausage over spaetzle with fig puree - Cragganmore
- Vanilla Panna Cotta - Chilled Dalwhinnie
- Stilton Blue Baked in Pastry - Lagavulin/ Caol Isla
- Cask of Below Decks Barleywine with Baggy of Chocolates and Mints