VeggieDag is an occasional Thursday post on an animal-free diet and its issues.
Quick links for September 2013:
- September 2013 is Vegan MoFo, the Vegan Month of Food.
- "Stand by your ingredients," say a chef and a winemaker. Via YFGF.
- FDA finds rice to contain arsenic, at very low levels. As does water. Via WIRED.
- Chef Lucy Saunders creates Kickstarter campaign to publish new beer-cookbook: Dinner in the Beer Garden. Via YFGF.
- The United Nation's Fifth Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) reports that there is a 95 percent likelihood that human created heat-trapping gases — rather than natural variability — are the main cause of climate change. Via The Atlantic.
- While PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) supports a strict adherence to veganism, it draws the line at boycotting products that are 'only' 99.9 percent vegan. More, via PETA.
- Chile-infused Beet Sliders with Avocado Dressing. From Gatsby's Diner, in Sacramento, California. Via Lucy Saunders in Mother Nature Network.
- Vegan 'cheese' from kale and sunflower seeds. Via Food For The Soul.
- Quick fresh tomato sauce, pickled vegetables, marinated tofu, grilled fruit. Via America' Test Kitchen on Fresh Air.
- What makes whole-grain bread so hard to bake? (And how to prepare it well). Via Smithsonian Magazine.