Saturday, February 18, 2023

Pic(k) of the Week: Thicket tunnel

Thicket tunnel

Thicket tunnel or allée over the trail?

Clyde Shepherd Nature Preserve: DeKalb County, Georgia, USA. 8 February 2023.

  • DeKalb County [pronounced DEE-KAB, here in Georgia!] is primarily a suburban county, located in the north central portion of the U.S. state of Georgia. As of the 2020 census, the population was 764,382, making it Georgia's fourth-most populous county. It contains roughly 10% of the city of Atlanta (the other 90% lies in Fulton County).

  • Clyde Shepherd Nature Preserve (formerly South Peachtree Creek Nature Preserve) is located in the Medlock Park neighborhood of DeKalb County. The 28-acre nature preserve opened in 1995 under the management of South Peachtree Creek Nature Preserves, Inc., (SPCNP) a non-profit, neighborhood organization. [...] Besides the pond and wetlands, the preserve includes emerging pine forest, wooded uplands containing mature trees, and low shrub meadow in the floodplain bordering South Peachtree Creek. There is a good mix of native species and non-native species that provides cover for nesting birds and young animals. These diverse habitats are home to beavers, foxes, turtles, snakes, frogs, rabbits, and dozens of species of birds. To date, 166 species of migratory and resident birds have been identified, including wood ducks, pileated woodpeckers, and sand-hill cranes. Six species of frogs [have been] identified in the pond area [including] bullfrogs, chorus frogs, spring peepers, leopard frogs, gray frogs, and green frogs.

  • Pic(k) of the Week: one in a weekly series of images posted on Saturdays, occasionally, but not always (as is the case today), with a good fermentable as the subject.
  • Photo 8 of 52, for year 2023. See a hi-res version at Flickr: here.
  • Commercial reproduction requires explicit permission, as per Creative Commons.

  • Camera: Olympus OM-D E-M10 II.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here ...