Beer (and whisky) writer Michael Jackson has died. He had been suffering from Parkinson's Disease for several years.
Throughout much of his life, Jackson was a tireless promoter of good beer. It was through his written words --inimitable, erudite-- that he introduced the joys of good beer to many. Michael Jackson trail-blazed the idea of beer styles, promulgating the idea of beer as defined by geographical type. Prior to him, there had been very little formal recognition of such differences.
When he began his beer-writing career in the 1970s, good beer was disappearing. Jackson would hunt for good beer, as he put it, and thus became known as the Beer Hunter. From an entry in Wikipedia:
The modern theory of beer style is largely based on the work done by Michael Jackson in his 1977 book The World Guide To Beer in which Jackson categorized a variety of beers from around the world in local style groups suggested by local customs and names.
He wrote with a newspaperman's concise prose, enlivened with wit and a sense of beauty.
"Do you ever drink wine?" people ask me, as though beer were a poison rather than a playground. A day may pass when I do not drink wine, but never a week. Whatever is argued about other pleasures, it is not necessary to be monogamous in the choice of drink. Beer is by far the more extensively consumed, but less adequately honored. In a small way, I want to help put right that injustice."
--- Michael Jackson
Decades after he began his mission, we can enjoy a good beer as not only something miraculous, but as a part of the woof and warp of everyday life - albeit an exceptional part. Jackson's promotion of good beer throughout the world was incalculable in its positive impact. I don't believe it will soon be equaled.
Clipper City's Thomas Cizauskas (r) at RFD, 2006
We honor Michael Jackson whenever and wherever we enjoy a good beer. He was - and will continue to live on through his words as - our bard of beer. That is his special gift to us.
- The Beer Hunter [his website]
- Read his final column for All About Beer Magazine, which will be published posthumously.
- Jackson knew whisk(e)y.
- Fellow beer writer Lew Bryson toasts Mr. Jackson.
- Father of Beer Writing Dead
- Remembering Michael Jackson
- International Herald Tribune
- Washington Post appreciation
- Michael Jackson wiki
- The Poetry of Michael Jackson [ added 27 March 2009]
- Michael Jackson: a personal memory [added 30 August 2008]
- Toast and Dram [added 23 August 2008]
- Michael Jackson's Birthday [added 27 March 2008]
- last video interview [added 3 September 2007]
- The fat men sing [added 6 September 2007]
- Condé Nast [added 16 September 2007]
- Wine for beer [added 17 September 2007]
- his books
- National Toast to Michael Jackson [added 1 October 2007]
- Eyewitness Companions: Jackson's last book [added 25 November 2007]
- 66th Birthday commemoration[added 27 March 2007]